Saturday, April 16, 2011

And Beyond

Listen up.

The mental aspect of running is tough. So much so that we sometimes don't give ourselves a fighting chance to do anything great.

In all honesty I think this should be the quote or theme of SCAC 2011/life:

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction" -William James

This sums up running for me. It sums up my goals, why I run, who I want it to help make me, and the reason I like to help other people get better at it. Notice the quote says nothing about winning. Nothing about glory. The quote is about an individual. Does it compare what two runners are doing? NOPE. Does it even sound that promising? NO, it sounds hard. Does it tell you how to qualify for the Olympics or win races? Hell no. It actually tells you to find your point of exhaustion. Wait, what?

Like I said, listen up-

There is a "beyond". Beyond the fatigue. Beyond the toughest work out you have under your belt. Beyond your worst day. Beyond your all-nighters. Beyond you hardest race. Beyond what you think will break you.

Beyond what does break you.

You want proof?
You are still standing. (Well sitting, but imagine with me here)
Actually, standing and reading.
That requires both physical effort and mental effort.
Running takes physical and mental effort.
So, in your past you have had what you thought was your toughest day. But, here you are. Standing, reading, and, hopefully, realizing that you will probably have a tougher day in your future.

Beyond.

Did you quit? Never run another step? No further work outs? Nope. You kept running.

That was physical. You fixed that all by yourself. But to get to the true beyond? I believe you need to fix the mental aspect too. And because some like structure, I thought I would try some steps to get you there:

1.) Sit your skinny runner butt down on a chair with your running shoes on your lap
2.) Put a mirror in front of you
3.) Stare yourself down for a minute- like an animal preparing for epic battle
4.) Open the line of communication- aka begin talking to yourself or visualization
5.) Follow some sort of conversation that convinces yourself to perform well even when you are tired, blown to shreds, cracked, sleep-deprived, under trained, over trained, heart broken, lost, stumbling, and crazy
6.) CONVINCE YOURSELF
7.) Convince your feet
8.) Convince your muscles
9.) Convince your shoes
10.) Convince your heart

Now, steps 1-3 really don't matter and steps 7-10 really follow your lead once you get to step 6. So really it is not that much to do.

I have SCAC fever and as SCAC T&F 2011 approaches I knew I wanted to remind people how to get through it. Most people do more than one event at conference. They deal with crazy conditions, tactical races, and pressure. So, my little SCAC athletes, please do not let the nerves and stress of the whole season tire you out before you even reach the line that day. You have one week to realize everything you have done in preparation for this meet.

You believe you should be tired after a hard work out. Tired after lots of weeks of racing. Exhausted with school. Stressed about life. Did your legs tell you all that? Did your muscles not do what you asked them to do? Or did you tell yourself you should feel tired. Should feel stressed.

All those things that the quote above doesn't mention? Well those happen when you break down barriers. The biggest barrier being your mental self and mental toughness. I don't care if you are a 12 year old kid who thinks he can win the Boston Marathon- with enough mental toughness you can get pretty darn close.* Those races I told my self that I was going to win, I usually ended up losing. The races where I ate my words, my miles, my workouts, my core, and my barriers were usually the ones I succeeded in.

*(I just watched a movie, Saint Ralph, about just that. Very weird but motivational movie if you have some down time as you are searching for "beyond")

Forget that you are telling yourself you are tired and watch what happens. By all means, take full care of yourself and make yourself comfortable.

But strap yourself in and drive towards that moment you know will be tough and experience beyond.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you on the oval.

No comments:

Post a Comment