Sunday, May 22, 2011

Unattached

Welp, it has been a year since graduation. And here is what I have learned:

If there was an American Idol for runners I would stand in line, sign up, and pray. I can even see the possible titles now- "The Next American Pre", or "The Skinny", or "Survivor: Olympic Trials Edition", or something of the sort. Maybe Oprah could do a special on...shoot.

There would be rounds, tests, trials, underdogs, front runners, hometown favorites, judges, and, of course, fan voting. Competitors would be tested and judged on consistency, talent, guts, race savvy, teamwork, potential, heart, and that little bit of crazy that all runners have. The runners would get the chance to train at incredible facilities, with the best coaches, and full support teams ready to help them. This would all lead up to races and challenges as individuals and teams to see what the athletes could do given a chance.

I am not saying this would be the next summer hit show, but it would have plenty of drama, work, sweat, tears, and chances to shine. Really. It is a way to work on some of the biggest problems for the sport of track and field- lack of a fan base, lack of support, and the way potential athletes struggle after college.

Selling out you say?

You must not know American distance running. If that is selling out, then it would mean we finally have something to sell to America. Right now, the deal is very little for very few. A lot of good runners don't even stand a chance. Local heroes. PR junkies. Dreamers. Hard workers. The "unattached". The fairly fleet of feet. Doing the best we can with what we have.

It is a hard dream. One that I was half heartedly pursuing. Still loved running. I just had no idea how to keep going. Then, I smiled at the end of my race.
Remembering why

The training was getting hard and I didn't feel like anyone was giving me a chance. For a track girl, it sure is hard to watch all of the great track meets that have been happening this year and not really step on the track myself. The hardest part about trusting in your training is not always knowing where your fitness is, especially in a place you like to perform. And just hoping that you can put something together at the right time. I knew there would be a difference between training in college and training now, but this is pretty different.

Only a mile, leaves you with a smile
Running becomes more of a battle when you are working more than one job and trying to squeeze in the training. You just hope you can get back to where you were in college. Then what happens when you keep improving? Your own legs getting your hopes up. All the work you are trying to squeeze in just to maintain, and all the things telling you that you won't succeed? You know you are going to have to fight to feel good. Well, the fight is back. It came with a smile, a mile, and those awkward legs of mine. A pair of new shoes always helps. Fighting for that someday, one day, maybe chance that someone sees a little more. Or that your legs finally get you there. If no one else sees it, hopefully I can get my legs to take me there anyway...

Someday I hope someone takes a chance. It is a dream I will carry around for a long time. Unattached is tough, but the road is fun and there is always something new to do (and usually plenty of company). I'll just keep smiling, until something makes my smile bigger.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment