Thursday, November 24, 2011

And the Turkey Trotted, Thought, and Thanked

Today is the day of feathers. By that, I mean today is Thanksgiving and no matter what kind of feathered wings you have, the best way to make room for all the wonderful food, family, and fun you will have on this day is to get outside and enjoy a RUN! Thanksgiving does not care if your feathers are worn out. Nor does this holiday mind if your feathers are a bit out of shape. Those wings of yours can be new, flashy, dusty, sharpened, tired, dirty, and/or downright developed but this holiday will take you. If you show the holiday some love with a little jog, it will love you right back. It will love you with creamy potatoes, sweeter than candy corn, mouthwatering turkey, unstoppable stuffing, and a whole buffet of desserts. So. Much. Love.

So today Derick, Sherlock, and I all went to the San Antonio Road Runner's Turkey Trot in Mcallister Park to stretch out our little feathers. I was first there to hand out some race fliers, but at the last second I couldn't resist the chance to keep the traditional turkey trot running streak alive. Luckily, even on race day at 8:33 am (the actual 4 mile race starts at 9 am) the race only costs 10 dollars to register! Great deal there! We parked at Blossom Athletic Complex and decided to run over to the park and use it as a warm up. The total mileage from our car to the actual starting line was almost perfectly 2 miles! Warm up- check! A little birdie had told us that the park was going to be shut down to all cars anyways so that the shuttle buses and necessary vehicles could have easy access to the roads and get all the racers to the starting line on time. It only took a few feet into the park to realize this had not been enforced. People were streaming in to the park in all sorts of ways- on foot, bike, and vehicle. The crowding had begun and was complicated by the people who decided to leave their cars inside the actual park. This makes it almost impossible for the shuttle buses to get through the park and drop off the racers fast enough! But besides the hassle of getting to and from the race, we had a great time!

The SARR Turkey Trot features a 4 mile course (3.87 mile by my garmin this morning!) that takes you through a fun portion of the paved trails in Mcallister park. There are some narrow spots and a few sharp turns, but the course is actually fairly nice. The park is a sort of twisted pretty. After doing the course for the second year, I am able to say it is well marked and the directors always have a blast starting the race. This year though, I almost missed a turn right before the three mile marker, but it was my own mistake and not for lack of flour markings. :) The mile markers were a bit off, but how many races like this do you think have actual accurate markers? Hell, how many races like this have markers? They start the race in waves, because of how tight the starting line is and the number of participants in the race. While our little race does not get the numbers like Houston and Dallas, the number jumped up to 3000+ runners and walkers this year! Big jump from last year, as the same number of total participants from last year had pre-registered this year! As the number of participants goes up, it may get harder to enjoy. The paths are probably wide enough to squeeze 4 runners across, but strangers racing together always mean a few less can fit because of boundary issues and courtesy. I already had to weave quite a bit through most of the race, and I started in the first wave (my fault for not getting out quick enough!)

Even if the number of participants keep rising for this race (like I think they will), the run over-all is worth, for traditions sake, the strategic planning and parking hassle required. The group that puts the race together puts in a lot of hard work and tries very hard to make sure people are having fun! The door prize turkeys are a great little extra flair as well. I also can't wait for the photos from the race! I noticed a girl running with an awesome turkey headband on the top of her head and would love to see it again!

I ended up finishing with a 24:39 for the 4-ish :) mile run. Not a terrible day for me. But by no means was it a rock-solid performance. I realized how much work I have to do over the next couple months! That is more helpful, to me, than running a super fast time! While I was just a hair faster than last year (still, 24 minutes is plenty of time to think), I am on much more shaky ground. A few work outs have been completed, but I can't seem to shake a nagging hamstring injury that keeps resurfacing from a race last March. I also struggled through my summer runs and the cross country season. I competed in one road 10k and in an alumni cross country race over that season and ended up with the same result- a stressed out hamstring and a questioning glance towards my future. I know I was more fit at this time last year, so it is time to put my nose to the grindstone and see what kind of a track season I can actually have!
DPU XC ALUMNI RACE 2011-
GIBSON FAMILY XC COURSE,
TERRE HAUTE, INDIANA
What ever the type of season I make for myself this year, I am so thankful to have the opportunity to keep running. While it doesn't always feel like the competitive and glamorous life I was picturing after graduating, I still am going to races and getting that same nerve rush before lacing up my shoes and putting on my uniform! I still have a goal to improve and to always do my best. My lack of blog updates has shown how much I have been taking for granted. That passion that I counted on through college and the time that I had  to dedicate are all things I struggle with now. But just when I don't think I have any reason to run, something always shows me that I am not done yet. What ever I can do this season I am dedicating to my sister, Deanna. She is an incredible basketball player at Adams State College. In her years as a Grizzly I have seen De become a force as a leader, player, and student-athlete. She has so much more ahead of her and I can't thank her enough for always continuing to inspire me and push me to be that athlete and person that she is. While she doesn't deserve the challenges placed in front of her this year, she is the only person I know who can handle, rise above, and use them to make her stronger. So that is what my goal is, to take my challenges, problems, and set backs and do what my sister does- come back even stronger from them! (De you truly are an incredible person and I am so thankful to have you as my sister!)

I am slowly finding the running community I was hoping to be a part of and I am so thankful for the groups out of Run On!, Trinity University, and my friends and family spread all across the world for helping me build up to becoming a better runner. Thank you for giving me a job, the support, and a hope for the future.

Derick, you always need to be thanked. I think I do a pretty good job of it, but I know  your ego won't mind a little more! Thank you for wanting what I can't sometimes and for staying tough with me!

Thank you legs for giving me the miles I want, the heart I need, and the dedication I crave. (Eventually...)

Giving thanks with smiles
And surviving the miles
Trot on, feathered friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment