Friday, December 17, 2010

Always be aware of your surroundings

So I was in for a treat this week and I had no idea! I was able to attend the USTFCCCA Convention this year. This not only included a chance to go see the different symposiums and talks the conference had but a chance to see The Bowerman presentation live!
My first day there I sat in on a talk about strength training for middle distance runners given by Vern Gambetta. We sat in the very front row! I felt so nerdy and excited, almost like I was back in school again, with my note pad and pen. I was just so happy to be learning and I tried to soak everything up. Then Derick and I got some lunch and geared up for some more people meeting and more soaking... The next talk I went to was by Marcus O'Sullivan (from Villanova). He gave a great opening talk on what it means to prepare for training. What I loved about O'Sullivan's talk was that even though his goal was to talk about specific training for middle distance runners, he made it relative to just preparing for any kind of running. The base work is necessary to be successful and to get you to that next level. 
And the fun was just beginning. Even though I had to work the next couple days, I got to go to the events at night. First up was the Mondo BBQ! As Derick and I walked around trying to find Coach Stoffregen and Coach Eby through all the tables we just happened to walk by Jennifer Barringer (now Simpson)! She was sitting at a table with Ryan from Flotrack and that wasn't the end of it! Lisa Koll then sat down right behind our table to talk to some of the coaches. Of course Andrew Wheating could be seen across the lawn and we even got to see him up close when he and his mom walked through where we were standing inside. I couldn't believe it! But in all three cases I had been to nervous to walk up and introduce myself. They were such big figures to me I couldn't even imagine talking to them. 
The next night it was time for The Bowerman. USTFCCCA is calling it "the Heisman" for track and field. There were 6 nominees, split 3 of the best collegiate women and men. And of course, I was totally blown away. But not by who I thought. Derick introduced me to Coach Smith. As in Francie Larrieu-Smith. I may not have been getting an award that night but I had the best seat in the house, right next to Francie. It was amazing to get to talk to her and ask her about running. I had a blast! She reminded me to look at who I was in the room with. The people I had been so nervous to talk to were sitting in the same room as I was. Never in a million years did I think I would see Jenny Barringer unless I was in the stands watching her at a track meet. But, there I was only a few tables over. Basically, it hit me that its not that far away. "It" being standing on a track right next to these athletes. All it takes is hard work. Well, a lot of hard work. I'm still being realistic, but man it was cool this week. And, it showed me what was out there. 
I think my second favorite part was getting to see some of the other Division III coaches there. It brought me a small connection to a few of the runners I knew when I was in college. The talk with Francie helped me realize that I was surrounded by some of the best people while I was in DIII. Take Randelle Boots of Wellesley College, for example. If you don't know her name yet you will very soon! She is not only an incredible runner but also quite the incredible person. I thought it was a privilege to run with her last year and I can not wait to see how she does this year. I think DIII and beyond will get to know her very well in the next couple years. Also got to meet a few people who knew Liz Lawton. Another incredible runner who I was lucky enough to meet! And, Jenny Scherer, who is total proof that hard work pays off. My entire collegiate career I was surrounded by people like this who were inspiring athletes. I can't forget my own teammates either. Now, in San Antonio, I have gotten to meet the people who help me here. And I am so thankful.

This week was incredible. I learned to always be aware of my surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment