Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Join the Journey

Welcome to Mile 12. 

Its about the journey of a pair of feet. Just the one pair of soles that I have underneath me. They don't have wings and they are not bullet proof, but they can do amazing things. I have seen them eat hills for breakfast. I have witnessed the strength they have which I do not really possess in any other part of me. They have saved me from falling and they have helped me crash and burn. I say they have a mind of their own, and I believe it is true. This journey they are on is one of improvement and drive. 

I could post that I want to run in the Olympics or get paid to grace the manicured grass of a cross country race with these feet. But in truth, my running has always been about improving. My feet have always wanted to go just that little bit faster. Dig in that little bit more. Stride that small bit farther. College is an amazing time where you can see that anything is possible and that dreams are always closer than they appear. But my feet and my heart know reality well. So this is not an epic journey, or a tale of drama. If there ever is another championship race or deciding moment in my future I will be grateful for the opportunity and thankful for the chance to be a part of something I love so much.  Simply, purely, Mile 12 is a sort of representation of those dreams we all have. Those goals we want to reach in the backs of our minds. 

I rarely run as far as 12 miles. My feet definitely get cranky after about mile 6 or so. I doubt I could even do 12 full push ups. But there is something lovely about the number. Whether I will be watching or trying to compete, the USA Olympic Trials and the actual Olympics are in 2012. Some of my favorite long runs in Nature Park at DePauw were about 12 miles. I recently obtained a sign from a race that established runners had hit the mile 12 marker. (It was exciting to think the runners only had 1.1 miles to go after that point!) In truth, mile 12 is a place that I really have to work to get to and I feel like I bleed accomplishment when I do. Saying "get to mile 12" in my head is a small way of reminding myself of the place I like to be when I feel good on a run. To get there, to that distant mile 12 marker, you have to be working, efficient, and elevated all at once. But my favorite part is that each step you take means that you are deciding the effect. The result. The big picture. The moment. All with one footfall. No one is too far behind in running. Especially not my kind of running. And you don't have to run forever to find your Mile 12... 

Improving is something everyone can accomplish

"Every few minutes, responding to some silent signal of alarm, they would leap into the air, wings flashing white, then twist and circle to earth again..."
-scott weidensaul


 

No comments:

Post a Comment