Monday, December 27, 2010

Free Running Advice-Terms and Conditions May Apply*

*Not applicable for anything more than motivation
*Not a limited time offer
*Not limited to one per person
*Non-returnable, but ignorable
*Terms and conditions may vary depending on weather, personality, history, previous injuries, and location.
*Please see your actual running shoes for full terms and conditions


During the holiday season it can be easy to become numb to the fine print that we see in the things we do every day. The hardest thing to do is keep the fine print out of your runs. Each time the idea of going on a run has popped into my head the past week, I feel like I have a guy following me around talking really fast in order to get all of the "fine print" in before I can lace up my shoes. This morning was no different and it included a behemoth list of fine print. The little annoying speedy voice in my head was saying, "Runs should not take place with in 2 days of driving across country, runs are not valid unless four miles long, runs can not take place less than an hour before work, runs are restricted to areas that are 60 degrees or warmer at 6 am, running at night after work is impossible and should not be attempted, and finally, making someone responsible of getting your run started and out the door is not normal and means you should seek help immediately..." Whew. Really makes my feet want to lace up and pound some pavement. Even though most of the time I can feel my legs actually get itchy if I do not run, my mind usually gets a few words in of why I shouldn't or how hard it will be. Fine Print. 

The good news is that running originated with out fine print. And it is possible to get rid of the asterisks and just enjoy the opportunities that running gives you. The first step is to make the fine print positive. Instead of approaching a large hill on your run and letting the fine print read, "hills should not be applied to any regular run, any and all side effects typically result in pain, and getting to the top is not guaranteed and only available while supplies last," you should allow things like "Hills are an opportunity to catch someone or something, hills can be applied to all runs to make flat parts seem easy, my supplies will always last until the top of the hill and beyond". But that is the easy part as you are already out on your run and you just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. To really keep working on getting rid of the fine print you can try to zombie yourself out of the type. Set your alarm for sometime that recalls the phrase "O'dark thirty" and just put on your shoes. Don't even wait to pee. That you can do on the run. Just get out the door before your mind wakes up and has time to say anything.

But my favorite way, by far, is just to get rid of it. Quit the print. I know, after many years of running, the good things it has brought me. My shoes feel good on my feet. Legs feel great in strides. And my head gets a break. Those endorphins are some smooth pieces of work. Just thinking about some of my favorite runs, usually the simplest, is enough to make my feet twitch in my sleep (and my shoes!). I know how good it is to just know. Yes, some runs are really very difficult. But those days where running feels endless and wonderful make getting up completely worth it. Just remember. Just know.

The beauty in this is you can make a run a difficult choice. Or, it doesn't even have to be a choice. Just a simple part of your day. Moving one foot out the door doesn't require the word vomit we can produce to tell our selves why we shouldn't, and, typically, where one foot goes, the other will follow.    

Quit the Print. As always, try to get a smile in your runs*
*not a safe idea if your teeth are sensitive to cold and live in the mid-west currently
*do not attempt if in a swamp or other bug infested area
*side effects may include future runs, more smiles, and slight increase in muscular tissue of the facial muscles
*please do not examine your mid run "pit stop" to see if there are any smiles included

No comments:

Post a Comment