Thursday, January 20, 2011

Delerium aka CRR

If you have ever watched me race, you know that I love to be out on the track.
I love hearing the splits, cutting times down, and finding a way to make that finish line closer.
If you have ever talked to me after my races, you have probably met my alter ego-
Crazy Runner Reich (CRR for short).
Now CRR  is quite the character. She has no personal boundaries, feels no need to worry about personal space, and is always willing to give big sweaty hugs. She also speaks with out any kind of a filter and usually has trouble putting together even semi-coherent conversations. CRR is my alter ego and also a complex that I have. Like a twitch or a habit. I am more than slightly addicted to her.

Let us explore this a little bit. I wish I could tell you more of the stories I am sure CRR has produced, but I honestly don't remember what goes on for about 15 minutes after I cross the line. I had almost forgotten about CRR until a friend recently reminded me of her. So here is my explanation to all of you who have met CRR and those of you who probably will and have no idea what you are getting into.

I have dubbed my CRR as the result of anoxic conditions in my brain. I think sometimes I try to run faster than I can breathe. There is usually a boundary that I cross when I run. One step I am normal and relaxed, and then next is when the race becomes fast. Now CRR has also appeared after certain work outs as well. So it is my best guess that my complex appears after the workload that I ask of my body is more than I can actually handle. I can push that boundary, but it results in some pretty funny post race memories. Actually, I love to push that boundary.

One of my favorite college runners, Liz Lawton, actually just reminded me that "running is such a peculiar sport!" And she knows the truth. Even when I know I can not physically take one more step, my brain says to try. Whether it is my heart, my head, or both that gets me through that moment, I am not sure. But I have this desire to see what moment comes after you realize how bad you are hurting. I have tasted this thing, I would call it fun, but people will call me crazy for it. That moment where you hurt the most? Push through for there is a moment right after where I find pure joy. Pain mixed with joy is pretty peculiar. But that is why I tell people to try for one more step. Because you never know how close you are to that one moment that makes everything worth it.

 
Normal or not, it is how I feel when I run.
And you can't tell me we are all not crazy...
Run faster than you can breathe
It is a different kind of drug
-CRR

No comments:

Post a Comment