Monday, January 17, 2011

Determining Your Determination

Derick is making phone calls.

Recruiting calls actually.

And it is his birthday. His one day to do anything. But he is in our apartment making the calls. He is determined to make Trinity a top placing team in the nation and he knows what it takes to get the job done. So he calls. Drops everything and takes calls. Shushes me and calls.

He is one of the most focused people I have ever met.

He is determined.

While I used to think only his humor, his obsession for stats and facts, and his loud laugh were the only things that were rubbing off on me I realized I was wrong. Yes, I do make "that's what she said" jokes now. Yes, I do already know who is on the 2011 DIII Indoor Performance list in the 800, Mile, and 5k. Yes, my laugh has gotten a bit louder over the past 4 years. But I also am doing something I never thought I could do. I am working on running for myself. I am determined to see what else I can do. And that is something very special that Derick is teaching me. The beauty in detail. The glory of the facts. The hope in the future. And the determination in work.

Plus, this bearded wonder believes in me. Little old un-determined me. I have a passion for running, but I don't always have the determination. He takes care of that. He reminds me of what I have done and what I can do. That is why his nickname is so fitting. Derick Lawrence aka D-rock. He does not even try to determine his determination. He just does. D-rock determined. It is a great mantra for me when the times are tough, the workouts long, and the muscles are sore.

I can not wait to be Lauren Lawrence. Nor can I wait to hear an announcer on the track say that name for the first time. I know it will associate me with the kind of unwavering, enveloping, and motivating determination that comes with the one who is the rock. My rock. D-ROCK.

Happy Birthday love.
You know what makes me, you know what breaks me.
Lucky for me, you only push to make me better.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Lauren. But, tell Drock to enjoy his bday a little bit. The older we get,the more we cherish each birthday.
    Time goes by so fast.

    ReplyDelete