Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Magic Mile

More than just mist was gathering late Tuesday night.

Maybe they were attracted to the red glow of the neon "open" sign. Others were driven here by a desire for hope. Some wanted to change the future.

The curiosity would soon drip from their brows.

It was a lovely night for magic.

Soon there were footsteps in the darkness and hearts were pounding. Four laps. Everyone started running, but this was one race where many would walk more than run. A race unlike any I had ever been in. Still, my legs felt the same fleeting moments of adrenaline and they still itched to find some turnover.

Before the words "go" were even started, we had gone over warming up and stretching. The basics. Things that I have been doing so much that I am to the point where I don't even notice doing them any more. The coaches talked track etiquette and how this was going to be a time to push each other. I saw nerves, worry, and determination all lined up on the same starting line. That is when I realized there was magic in any race. The same emotions were flowing through a crowd of new runners on one of their first starting lines as had gone through the tough, seasoned competitors I had once competed against. The magic was still there. And it showed me one of the beauties running has to bestow on humanity: everyone is welcome to that magic.

Not everyone on the line that night thought they would finish that run. It was just our beginners class and we were trying to establish a baseline for our groups. But it parallels almost every race I have been in. There are those confident in their abilities and goals. Many are unsure of how things will play out and are just hoping to do better than last time around the oval. Some are in a dark place where attitude and abilities do not match. But still, everyone is waiting for the start. That is when the second beautiful moment dawned on me: no one was waiting for the finish. It would happen. And everyone seemed to know they would decide how it would happen. It is something that I think college and even well seasoned runners forget. Ultimately, we are the ones who get to choose how we run races. No, we may not always get the place, the time, or the glory we desire, but we can sift through all of that and find our place of strength. The one where we learn to desire more and be thankful for what we have achieved.  

Oh it was a night for magic.

I was in love with all of the people on the track that night. Each one has a lot of hard work to put in but they gave that day what they had. So many different people with so many different goals all situated around one dark oval dirt-fest. Most of them left with a twinkle in their eye. They have they running bug. And I can not wait to watch it grow!

I was more than impressed with this amazing group of runners. I was delighted. I was proud. And I was hooked on their attitude. The feelings of staleness and boredom launched out of my legs, heart, and soul. Even old track dogs like me could still appreciate that first day. The first lap split (and having no idea what the time meant). And the first wonders of, "what in the hell did I get myself into" surfacing. Any runner in need of a jump-start kit for their training program should consider meeting a group of new runners and experiencing the first run with them. It is incredible.

The magic ended for some in 6 minutes and 30 seconds. More than a few got through the magic in around 10-12 minutes. When the last person gutted through their final magic minutes we re-grouped and cooled down with more stretches and tips. I think most left with out realizing the magic that was under the stars on the track that night.

My bet is that the enchantment is just beginning...



What a cruel and beautiful master pain can be.
It teaches us to love and hate our moments.

Always pray for more opportunity and take advantage of the answer

No comments:

Post a Comment